Moving Money to Meaning
Investment Officer Job Description
Job Category: Investment Team Member
As part of the Investment Team, the Investment Officer (IO) will report directly to the Head of the Regional Office (RO). The primary responsibilities will include: manage orco-manage a pool of RO’s investees as well as maintain and further develop relationships with them. The Investment Officer will assist the Head of the RO in developing new business opportunities and will provide support to other members of the Investment Team in the task aligned below.
The Investment Officer is expected to thoroughly understand the business model and different processes used by EQ, in order to appropriately follow EQ’s procedures and apply its methodology. The Investment Officer’s main responsibilities include performing financial analysis in coordination with more senior positions within the region, to assess the viability of investment opportunities. The Investment Officer must have a good understanding of the economic situation, political environment and the financial industry within the markets served by the RO.
The IO will be based in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, and will be required to undertake frequent travels in the Region, primarily to emerging market countries.
I. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
– Collect and analyze investee’s governance, credit management, financial information and ESG information and ensure that the information is stored on the shared drive.
– Actively monitor current investees by performing monthly, quarterly, semiannual and annual analytical reviews for internal or external parties.
– Assess investee’s credit risk of the outstanding loans on exceptional occasions (economic deterioration, political crisis, natural disaster, etc.).
II. Investment and Disbursements
– Assist in the investment selection process of financial institutions/other type of credit providers.
– Participate in negotiations with potential investees to define investment terms, led by more senior Investment Team members.
– Prepare investment proposals to be submitted to the Investment Committee.
– Present investment proposals in the internal or external Investment Committee meetings.
– Assist other Investment Team members with preparation/presentation of investment proposals.
III. Management of Credit Process
– The investment Officer will perform the following activities:
a. Due Diligence(DD)
– Plan and prepare due diligence trips to current and potential investees.
– Meet minimum monitoring due diligence time for current investees.
– Complete pre-DD documentation: desk review of existing or potential investees, run the different EQ tools that would support during the meetings and making sure that has a comprehensive knowledge of the due diligence process (areas to cover, key information, documents required, etc.).
– The IO might receive support from a Research Associate, if this is the case, the IO should guide the RA during the pre-DD process.
– Manage logistics of the DD trips for traveling Investment Team members.
– Participate in on-site Due Diligence of current or prospective investees: collect, organize, analyze and report information obtained during the DD trips to the Investment Team.
b. Quality of Analysis
– Prepare Country Risk Analysis detailed reports identifying key risks (economic, political, industry, natural disasters, etc.) and mitigation factors.
– Maintain updated the existing Country Risk Reports.
– The IO might receive support in the preparation of these reports from a RA, if this is the case, guide the RA and support with specific information that the RA might not be able to complete (e.g. lack of access to certain information due to language barriers).
– Demonstrate through understanding of the competitiveness and main players in the operation markets.
c. Closing &Disbursement Process
– Support and assist preparing loan documentation, negotiating and closing the loan deals.
– Collaborate with the operations department in the disbursement of loan proceeds.
– Assist drafting legal documentation.
– Support the Investment Team on any required tasks, not limited to the management of covenants, internal watch list report and other risk reports.
– Assist with internal and external reporting as necessary.
e. Credit Management
– Understand when to restructure credits and manage covenant breaches.
IV. Portfolio and Funds Management
– Together with RO prepare country and fund investment strategies.
– Support in the creation of portfolio analysis reports required by supervisors, Portfolio Management Team, Senior Management Team and/or investors.
– Perform research and monitor financial markets, collect and report information on investees and support other departments in identifying new business opportunities, building pipelines and expanding business.
– Initiate and maintain communication with current and prospect investees.
– Supervise work of junior team members including proofreading/evaluation of analytical work.
– Support senior management in personnel management, human resource development and training.
VI. Technical Development
– Engagement in the development of internal tools and procedures.
– Participate in technical task forces and support management teams.
Contribute in new product development.
Detailed Key Performance Indicators (KPI´s)
– Actual disbursements during the period of evaluation versus the business plan (volume, number of investees, number of countries).
– Proactiveness and autonomy in investee negotiation.
– Fund contribution margin based on the different investment performed.
– Personal contribution margin to EQ based on the individual AUM.
– Ability to present investment proposals and to respond to questions/concerns from the Investment Committee.
– Quality of analysis: investment memo aligned to the financial strength of the institution.
– Compliance of internal procedures: maintaining its pipeline updated, no overdue credit/ESG ratings, covenants report, watch list investee monitoring, etc.
– Relationship management with investees and quality of communication and relationship with third parties.
– Quality of collaboration with colleagues.
– Development and maintenance of EQ analytical tools.
– Demonstrated interest in the impact investment industry.
– Strong financial analysis skills.
– Thorough understanding of the due-diligence and lending processes in the financial and credit sector and skills in performing due diligence.
– Skills in assessing credit risk and developing investment proposals
– Aptitude to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
– Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, flexible with “hands-on” approach.
– Capacity to identify critical issues, pragmatic approach to analysis of data, information and facts.
– Capability to draw appropriate conclusions from the information available.
– Excellent communication and presentation skills in a professional manner.
– Ability to freely communicate within the language of doing business at the Regional Office.
– Excellent written and spoken English skills.
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office, with advanced skills in Excel.
– Degree in finance, economics, or a related field.
– At least three years of working experience in areas such as banking, impact investment or economic development.
– Previous experience of financial credit institutions and credit risk assessment.
– Experience to operate financial and ESG due diligences of financial institutions or other credit providers is preferred.
– Demonstrate interest in impact investing, emerging markets development, SDG’s initiatives, green energy or energy transition projects.
– Proactive, result-driven and willingness to perform both technical and administrative tasks.
– Effectively work in small teams and highly challenging/rapid changing working environments.
– Ability to work in multiple tasks simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
– Advanced personal, organizational and planning skills.
– Flexibility and openness to assist other team members.
– Willingness to live and work in developing countries and ability to frequently undertake work related travel in the Region.
– Deadline application: 13 February 2022
– Please send your CV, cover letter and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Make sure to include application documents, salary expectations and possible starting date.
– Thanks for your interest but ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.